Incredibly, only 3 out of 10 Social Security Disability (SSDI) applications are approved when first submitted! Most of these initial applications are denied because they are missing vital medical or work-related information.
- File your application at the right time. We recommend that you apply for benefits when you have been off work for at least 5 months. Since your disability must keep you from working for at least 12 months, if you file sooner your claim will probably be denied because your condition will be viewed as not severe enough.
- Make sure that your doctor will support your application. Your doctor’s medical opinion must detail the functional restrictions that prevent you from working.
- Practice filling out your application. Don’t jump right into completing the application online without careful and thoughtful preparation. You can download the disability benefit application and print it out. Then you can complete it by hand and see what information you are missing. Read more about the application process here.
- Compile all necessary medical and job documentation. Here is the Social Security Administration’s checklist for SSDI application documents that you will need. It’s important to give specific details of your medical treatments as well as your work history.
- Get a copy of your medical records for yourself. You may have to pay for them, but California law requires that physicians must provide copies to you within 15 days of your request. It may speed up the application process to give copies of your medical records directly to the disability examiner.
- Reach out for an attorney experienced in SSDI claims. We have helped hundreds of applicants get the disability benefits they deserve via the claims process and through complicated appeals procedures.
We Can Help with Your Social Security Disability Claim and Appeal
If you or a loved one has been denied Worker’s Compensation or Social Security Disability (SSDI) benefits, it’s important to get an attorney experienced in these types of cases involved immediately. Call 800.438.7734 for your initial free consultation, either in our office or in the comfort of your own home. The Kenton Koszdin Law Office, Social Security attorney in Van Nuys, can help you navigate the application process for the best possible outcome for you and your family.