Let Our Firm Get to Work for You
Schedule Your Free Case Review and Get the Help You Need ...

    How Can I Predesignate My Physician for Workers’ Compensation?

    By Kenton Koszdin Law Office on July 15, 2013 | In Workers Compensation

    Unexpected injury can be stressful, and it’s normal to want to see your own physician when you are injured. However, under California’s workers’ compensation law, you may be required to “predesignate” your own physician if you want to specifically see him or her after an on-the-job injury has occurred.

    You can predesignate your physician in three ways: by writing a letter to your employer, by filling out Form 9783 from the Division of Workers’ Compensation or filling out the form provided by your employer. If your employer or insurer works with a health care organization (HCO), you will need to fill out the HCO form.

    In your letter or form, include the following information:

    • The name of your employer.
    • A statement that designates the physician whom you would prefer to treat your work-related injuries.
    • The name, address, and telephone number of your physician.
    • Your name, your signature, and the date.

    You may designate either an individual physician or a physicians’ group. The individual doctor must be an MD or DO; if you designate a group, the group must be composed primarily of MD or DO holders. Although you cannot designate a chiropractor or acupuncturist, you may be able to see these practitioners for treatment after an injury occurs.

    If you’ve been hurt at work or have developed an illness related to your job, please don’t hesitate to call the experienced southern California workers’ compensation attorneys at the Kenton Koszdin Law Office. Contact us today for a free and confidential consultation to learn more about your legal options and how we can help you.

    Simple Share Buttons