Let Our Firm Get to Work for You
Schedule Your Free Case Review and Get the Help You Need ...

    What If My Employer Doesn’t Have Workers’ Compensation Insurance?

    By Kenton Koszdin Law Office on January 31, 2013 | In Workers Compensation

    An employee who is injured on the job only to find that his or her employer doesn’t have the mandated workers’ compensation coverage may feel like the situation is dire. However, such employees are often covered by California’s Uninsured Employers Benefits Trust Fund (UEBTF). An experienced southern California workers’ compensation attorney can help you file a UEBTF claim if needed.

    The UEBTF provides coverage for workers who would be entitled to workers’ compensation coverage, except that their employers did not purchase workers’ compensation insurance. To seek benefits from the UEBTF, an injured employee or the employee’s chosen workers’ compensation benefits attorney must file a claim with the Fund.

    The first step in filing for UEBTF benefits is to fill out the Workers’ Compensation Claim Form, which is numbered DWC-1. You can get this form online or from a state workers’ compensation office if your employer does not have copies available for you. Since filling out this form is the first step in opening any workers’ compensation claim, it’s wise to do it as soon as possible after you are injured.

    If you know or believe that your employer doesn’t have workers’ compensation coverage, you’ll also need to fill out the “Coverage Research Service Request” form and turn it into the Workers’ Compensation Insurance Rating Bureau, so they can determine whether or not your employer is covered. Your experienced California workers’ compensation benefits attorney can help you fill out both forms and take all the other steps necessary to ensure you get the benefits you’re due.

    Simple Share Buttons