Social Security Disability Review ProcessBy Kenton Koszdin on February 14, 2022 | In Social Security Disability
One of the main objectives of the Social Security Administration (SSA) is to protect those who are financially disadvantaged or struggling due to any of the following reasons:
- Disability resulting in the inability to work
- Retirement age
- Chronic illness
- Injured veterans
To remain fair and as per the requirement of the law, the SSA conducts a periodic review of the medical conditions of all the applicants who are receiving social security benefits. The purpose of the review is also to decipher whether you still need the benefits you are receiving.
In a typical social security review, the SSA would carry out the following steps:
- They will track the benefits that you have been receiving and determine if the predefined duration is still valid or not.
- For the continuation of benefits, the SSA will consult your doctors to see if your medical condition persists or if there is any improvement.
- They may collect your medical records, treatments prescribed and any medical tests from your hospital and update your medical conditions if required.
- They will seek professional advice to determine if your medical condition prevents you from working or joining back the workforce in another job.
- In some cases, the SSA may contact you directly for additional information.
- They may also set up and ask you to undergo a medical examination with their panel of experts.
In case you have been contacted by the SSA or your benefits have been terminated after review, there is no need to panic. You have the option to appeal the SSA’s decision by providing additional information. The details on how to appeal are provided in the termination letter sent by the SSA.
During your appeal, you will request the SSA to re-evaluate your impairment and explain how your medical condition restricts you from joining back the workforce.
If you have any doubts or questions, it is important to seek guidance from legal experts who have experience dealing with social security disability or worker’s compensation cases. Call 800-438-7734 for your initial free consultation held in our office, or from the comfort of your own home. The Kenton Koszdin Law Office, Social Security attorneys in Van Nuys, can help you navigate through the disability review process with ease and with the best possible outcome for you and your family.