Understanding Benefits And Their Eligibility Requirements, Part 2By Kenton Koszdin on June 28, 2018 | In Disability Insurance
The process of applying for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits requires that applicants understand the types of benefits that are available through Social Security. Today’s blog provides eligibility information for reduced benefits and retirement benefits:
Social Security provides five types of benefits:
- Retirement (monthly cash benefits)
- Disability (monthly cash benefits)
- Family (monthly cash benefits)
- Survivors (monthly cash benefits)
- Medicare (medical coverage)
Individuals may apply for retirement benefits or benefits as a spouse if they are at least 61 years and 9 months old; are not currently receiving benefits on their own Social Security record; have not already applied for retirement benefits, and want benefits to begin no more than 4 months in the future.
Applicants may receive reduced monthly benefits before reaching full retirement age as follows:
- Retirement benefits at age 62 through the month before full retirement age is reached;
- Husband’s or wife’s benefits at age 62 through the month before full retirement age is reached, as long as no child of the applicant’s deceased spouse either under age 16 or disabled and entitled to benefits is in the applicant’s care;
- Widow’s or widower’s benefits beginning at any time from age 60 or age 50 if disabled through the month before full retirement age is reached;
- Widow’s or widower’s benefits, if a spouse received a retirement benefit before full retirement age;
- Disability benefits received after a reduced retirement benefit; or
- Retirement or disability benefits received after a reduced widow’s or widower’s benefit. This applies only if you were born before 1928.
The Kenton Koszdin Law Office treats all cases equally but also treats each as distinct and unique. My personal experience with disability and workers’ compensation cases has given me the precise knowledge and insight necessary to successfully obtain benefits for my clients. I’ve lived through and experienced many different circumstances with my clients from the beginning of the application process all the way to the end. Contact us today for your free consultation. Call 800-438-7734 or visit us online. Se habla espańol!