What Benefits Does California Workers’ Compensation Insurance Offer?By Kenton Koszdin Law Office on July 17, 2012 | In Workers Compensation
California workers’ compensation insurance benefits cover five basic areas. All of these benefits are designed to help treat the on the job injury or illness you have suffered in order to get you back to work if possible, or to provide assistance if it is impossible for you to work after an accident or illness.
- Coverage of medical bills related to your injury or illness;
- Temporary disability benefits to cover your lost wages while you heal short-term;
- Permanent disability benefits, in case your long-term ability to work is reduced or eliminated;
- Supplemental job displacement benefits to help you get needed education or retraining if you can work, but not in your previous job; and
- Death benefits to help your family if you die from an injury or illness.
California employers are required to have workers’ compensation to cover their employees in most cases. Who “counts” as an employee depends on the circumstances, but factors like whether you are expected to work in a certain place at certain days or times, to use equipment provided by the employer, or can be fired by the employer all factor in. An experienced California workers’ compensation attorney can help you establish that you are an “employee” if this fact is in doubt.
Workers’ compensation benefits are crucial when an on the job injury occurs, but dealing with the paperwork can seem overwhelming. At the Kenton Koszdin Law Office, our talented California workers’ compensation attorneys can help you get the compensation you need. For a free, confidential consultation, call us today at (800) 438-7734.