Let Our Firm Get to Work for You

Schedule Your Free Case Review and Get the Help You Need ...

What To Do If You Are Injured At Work

By Kenton Koszdin Law Office on October 19, 2017 | In Workers Compensation

If you become injured at work or get sick from a work-related illness, do you know what to do?

It’s important to act quickly so that you may qualify for Workers’ Compensation (WC) benefits. Follow these steps if you or a loved one has been injured or become ill at work:

  • Report the injury or illness to your employer. Reporting promptly will help avoid delays and problems in receiving benefits, which include vital medical care. If your illness or injury developed gradually, report it as soon as you learn that it was caused by your work. Importantly, if you fail to report your injury or illness to your employer within 30 days, you may lose your right to receive WC benefits.
  • Get emergency treatment if necessary. Call 911 or go to an emergency room right away and be sure to tell medical personnel that your injury or illness is work-related. Even if you don’t need emergency treatment, it’s important to get medical treatment in the form of first aid and then follow-up with a visit to your doctor as soon as possible.
  • Complete and file a DWC-1 claim form to start the WC process. Your employer must give or mail you a claim form within 1 working day after being notified about your injury or illness. If your employer doesn’t give you the claim form, you can find it at the Department of Industrial Relations forms page.
  • You should complete the “employee” section of the form, sign and date it and then send it to your employer right away in person or by mail. Be sure to keep a copy for yourself and use certified mail – return receipt requested so you have a record of when it was mailed.
  • Your employer should complete the “employer” section of the form and forward on to their insurance company. If you don’t receive a copy of the completed claim form from your employer, request one for your records.
  • The insurance company has 14 days to inform you by letter of the status of your claim. If not received, call the insurance company directly.

Acting promptly in notifying your employer and filing the DWC-1 form, as well as submitting all required paperwork on time, will help improve the success of your Workers’ Compensation claim.

Let Us Help You Apply for SSDI or Appeal an SSDI Denial

If you or a loved one has been denied Workers’ Compensation or Social Security Disability (SSDI) benefits, it’s important to get an attorney experienced in these types of cases involved immediately. Call 800.438.7734 for your initial free consultation, either in our office or in the comfort of your own home. The Kenton Koszdin Law OfficeSocial Security attorney in Van Nuys, can help you navigate the application process for the best possible outcome for you and your family.

Simple Share Buttons
Simple Share Buttons