Let Our Firm Get to Work for You

Schedule Your Free Case Review and Get the Help You Need ...

Workers’ Comp in California: What to Do If You’re Hurt on the Job

By Kenton Koszdin Law Office on August 5, 2013 | In Workers Compensation

If you’re injured on the job in California, you may be entitled to workers’ compensation coverage for medical bills, partial payments for lost wages, and coverage for other losses. After an on-the-job injury, or as soon as you notice symptoms of an illness caused by your work, follow these steps:

  • Get medical care. Seek medical care immediately if your injury or illness is an emergency, posing an immediate risk to your health or safety. Call 911 or your local emergency number for help.
  • Notify your employer. Notify your employer in writing on Form DWC-1, which you can get from your employer or from the California Division of Workers’ Compensation website. Fill out the top half of the form, then turn it in to your employer.
  • Get proper follow-up care for your condition. When you file your workers’ compensation claim form, your employer should authorize up to $10,000 in medical treatment for your injuries. Seek follow-up care from a physician with experience treating your particular type of injury or illness. This doctor, called your “primary treating physician,” can help you get the treatment you need, refer you to specialists, and write medical reports that help you get the workers’ compensation coverage you need.

To protect your rights to workers’ compensation, you should take these steps as soon as possible after you are hurt on the job. If you’ve accidentally skipped a step or you need help navigating the workers’ compensation process, experienced southern California workers’ compensation attorney Kenton Koszdin can help.

Simple Share Buttons
Simple Share Buttons