Let Our Firm Get to Work for You
Schedule Your Free Case Review and Get the Help You Need ...

    Records One May Need When Applying for Social Security Benefits

    By Kenton Koszdin on September 10, 2018 | In Disability Insurance

    Records One May Need When Applying for Social Security Benefits

    You would expect to be asked for medical records and job history when applying for Social Security benefits, and they do request that information. However, there is other information requested that may not seem vital to your case but can help it process much quicker. Most of the information is requested as a way of proving your identity.

    Workers’ Comp Information

    If you are now applying for Social Security benefits due to a Workers’ Compensation claim, you will need to provide extra information regarding this case. They will need to know the date of the injury as well as the date the case was closed. The claim number is also necessary. If you’ve received a payment through the Workers’ Compensation claim, the Social Security Administration, or SSA, will need to know this.

    Proof of Military Service

    Your DD-214, if you were discharged from the military, not only helps the SSA verify who you are, but it can also be submitted instead of a birth certificate or certified copy. This document can prove your Social Security number as well as your identity.

    Income Verification

    Many people have W-2s to help show their income during the previous calendar year. If you had other income, such as through self-employment, you will need to submit your previous year’s tax records, including all schedules. If you received any other type of income, such as child support or alimony, you may need to submit this information as well. When gathering this information, also make note of your checking or savings account routing and account numbers, as these are necessary if you want to set up direct deposit for your benefits.

    A Consultative Evaluation

    If you aren’t able to provide enough medical evidence to support your claims of disability, the SSA may send you for an exam. This exam, called a Consultative Evaluation (CE), may be conducted by a third-party doctor or clinic, or the SSA may request one of your existing care providers to perform the CE. The report generated from the CE will most likely include your chief complaint attributing to your disability as well as details about your mental status. The evidence found at the CE can be added to your case as medical proof of your disability.

    Getting all this information together can be stressful. Kenton Koszdin has experience with disability cases whether you are applying for SSI or SSDI. With a knowledgeable and experienced disability lawyer on your side, you may be able to receive benefits, and perhaps much sooner than going at it alone. If you’re in the greater Los Angeles area, including Culver City and Inglewood, contact the Law Offices of Kenton Koszdin today through the convenient contact form for a free case review.

    Simple Share Buttons